Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 10. Five essentials for jumping.

It's been a while since I jumped a bunch but a few that I feel will be beneficial to Henry and myself in our upcoming training are(obviously I will do whatever my trainer says and we will start with the basics):

1. I think it's really important to be able to control your horses stride in a line. Any rider can jump in and hope to get the 6 strides but a legit rider can get 5 or 7 in there- asking for your horse to come back or to lengthen... or even get the 6 strides correctly- not one big, 4 small and one big... you get the point and there is only so much any rider can do to ensure this, I mean we are dealing with a live animal for crying out loud! (Lyssette you are legit)

2. Gymnastics are great for a young horse and jumping (obviously after the basics have been done) or working on your position (i need lots of this) or to make sure your horse is being sharp when they jump because they can't be lazy haha!
http://bennettscreekfarm.com/images/indoor-gymnastic.jpg

3. Two Point Two Point Two Point .... LOTS of it. If you think about it that is the foundation of you jumping and having a good strong two point will really benefit you as a rider.
http://www.chestnuthillca.com/images/sales/Nadato-5-lg.jpg

4.Straight lines and clean turns... I don't think I could ever do jumpers b/c I like slow, composed courses. Turning on a dime and approaching a fence 3 strides out freaks me out!

5.Release. I can't stand watching a rider who pulls back or holds on tight when they go over a fence not giving to the horses mouth as they stretch their neck to jump.


Lastly I found this and love it .. haha!

Well, not exactly, but it's a nice thought.

1 comment: