Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 1. Your first horse show.

My first horse show will forever stand out in my mind... I was SO excited. I rode Adam, a 16.2 hand gray gelding who was one of my favorite horses ever (he is second to Maddy). He was an ex GP horse and knew the ropes for sure. He was calm cool and collected which was perfect for my first show. I don't remember exactly what places we got in the classes but I do remember getting a first, few seconds/thirds/fourths.

BUT the "highlight" of the day was his escape... we were at the Watsonville fairgrounds and stalled in the fixed/permanent stalls. There was a break between my classes and I put Adam up, then went over to main arena with me trainer, mom and grandma to watch some classes. Next thing we hear the announcer say something to the tune of "there is a gray horse up on the grassy hill lose. If the owner will please catch and return him to his stall" ... we all looked back and yep it was Adam. I quickly walked over to his stall, got his halter and lead rope and caught him. He gave me a look like "well hi, I am just enjoying a snack."

Still to this day I am impressed at his ability to get the locked stall door open.

3 comments:

  1. I don't remember if I ever asked you if you showed at Pebble?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pics? We used to have a horse that would not only untie himself, but his buddies as well, some horses love a challenge that ends with food :)

    ReplyDelete